Aztech In-Home Display FAQ
- What is an Aztech In-Home Display (IHD)?
The Aztech In-Home Display is a Home Area Network (HAN) energy monitor that provides you with accurate, actionable information about your whole home electricity usage. The IHD provides you with easy to understand information about how much electricity you are using, when you are using it, and how much it costs. Its Light Arc gives with immediate feedback as to your relative energy consumption (the more you use, the faster the light moves) and cost (the color of your Light Arc reflects rate plan tiers).
- Who can benefit from using an Aztech In-Home Display?
The IHD is designed for home residents and business owners who want to monitor and control their electricity costs. The IHD provides timely information to empower people to reduce their electricity bills and their carbon footprint. Studies have shown that In-Home Displays help consumers reduce their energy usage by up to 10%. For maximum benefit, your IHD should be placed in a highly visible location in the home or business – like a kitchen, family or staff room, or reception area.
- How does the Aztech In-Home Display help you save and conserve? The Light Arc and informational screens give you feedback about how much electricity you are using, when you are using it, and how much it costs. This feedback will enable you to establish a current base line of electricity use in your home, identify times of high cost or use, identify energy hogging appliances, and set targets for consumption reduction. Unlike website or phone applications, your IHD will provide you with real-time feedback directly from your Smart meter. Your IHD will provide you with evidence of your conservation success to promote further targeted action.
- How does the Aztech In-Home Display fit in with utility conservation programs? An In-Home Display is an integral part of many utility conservation programs. Many utility companies provide their customers with Aztech In-Home Displays as a part of Smart meter roll outs or specific conservation initiatives. The Aztech In-Home Display is a genuine help in reducing your energy usage and costs, with or without incentives from your utility company.
- Do I need a certain type of Meter to use the Aztech In-Home Display?
Yes, you will need a compatible Smart electricity meter. If you purchase your IHD from the Aztech website or obtain it from your utility, your utility company will verify that you have the appropriate meter.
- How does the Aztech In-Home Display receive updates from my Smart meter?
The IHD communicates wirelessly with the Smart meter. Most Smart meters provide new data every minute, although some meters only provide data hourly.
- Can I have more than one In-Home Display in my home working at the same time?
Yes, you may install more than one In-Home Display and/or Optio™ in your home or business. Place your Aztech monitors in highly visible areas or areas where a lot of electricity is being used; such as the kitchen, family room, laundry room, home office or garage.
- Must the IHD be within a certain range of the Smart meter?
If your IHD is not receiving energy use information, try moving it closer to the Smart meter to establish a good connection. If you think that your IHD is not updating the information on the display, see the Trouble shooting your IHD section in the Configuration Manual.
- Can electricity rates be displayed by the In-Home Display?
Yes, provided your utility supports this functionality, or the device was configured to display rates.
- Can I synchronize my utility bill and the IHD?
Although efforts are made to provide accurate electricity cost information, all electricity cost data displayed by the In-Home Display is for informational and educational purposes only and not for billing. As all customers pay charges beyond their actual electricy usage. Your IHD provides a summary of your electricity usage and estimated energy cost since the summary was reset. Your utility may automatically reset this summary via the Smart meter. If the utility does not support this feature, and has enabled manual resetting of your summary views, please see Resetting Your Summary Views in the Configuration Manual.
- Can I setup the In-Home Display myself?
Yes, your IHD is easy to set up and does not require wiring or an electrician’s visit. The Quick Start Setup Guide provides easy to understand instructions for setting up your IHD. (Follow the battery charging instructions before operating.)
- How do I turn the Aztech In-Home Display on and off?
Plug the power adapter into a 120V electrical outlet and press the small button on the right to turn the device on. The display can be powered off from the Main Menu which can be accessed by pressing the power/menu button. For instructions, see the Quick Start Setup Guide or the Powering Your In-Home Display section in the Configuration Manual.
- How do I use the buttons?
Your IHD is equipped with navigation buttons located on the left side of the display for scrolling through the screens. Your IHD is also equipped with two buttons located on the right side of the display. The left-most button is used to toggle between the cost and usage modes on the Information screens and the right-most button turns the IHD on and provides access to the menus. See the Quick Start Setup Guide for a diagram. For more information, see the Features of Your In-Home Display section in the User and Configuration Manuals.
- Can I turn off the light arc?
Yes, you can set your preferences for the IHD light arc. For more information and instructions, see the Personalizing Your IHD section of the Configuration Manual. To increase your conservation awareness we recommend that the light arc remain on to provide feedback about your current electricity use and price.
- How do I access the Preferences Menu?
Press the small button on the right side of the display to access the Preferences Menu. For more information and diagrams, see the Configuration Manual.
- Do I have to keep my IHD plugged in?
While a 120V AC power adapter is provided to power your In-Home Display under normal operation, your display also supports battery powered operation so that you can take it throughout your home and explore how the use of different appliances impacts your electricity use. When operating on battery power, the light arc and LCD back-light will automatically turn off to conserve power. They will turn back on momentarily when a button is pressed. The batteries will last for approximately 4 hours. Before operating on batteries, the IHD must be plugged into AC power for at least 4 hours to charge the batteries.
- Does the Aztech In-Home Display retain the date and time when powered down?
Date and time information are received from your Smart meter, and will automatically refresh when the device is turned on (in the same way that time and date are refreshed when you turn your computer on). If your Smart meter does not support this feature, the IHD will prompt the user for this information.
- Do I have to update electricity rates or time changes in the IHD?
One of the great things about the Aztech IHD is that electricity rates, holiday rate and daylight savings time changes are updated automatically if these features are supported by your utility company.
- If utility rates change and they are not automatically updated, how do I update the In-Home Display?
Adjustment of rates is only possible if enabled by your utility. If enabled, the Configuration Manual will have a section on Updating Your Electricity Rates where you can learn about the type of rates supported by your IHD and how to adjust the rate values.